In New York in 1912, the first group of Hadassah was chartered after its founder, Henrietta Szold returned from Jerusalem. The second chapter of Hadassah was chartered in Norfolk, Virginia. Today, Hadassah is the world’s largest women’s Zionist organization. The original purpose of the organization was to bring modern health care to Palestine. Today, the Hadassah Medical Organization is internationally recognized as a leading authority in healing, teaching, and research. Hadassah is the largest organizational contributor to Jewish National Fund. Hadassah’s Norfolk-Virginia Beach chapter serves all of Tidewater.